Social Media linked to depression and suicide

Need general life advice and direction?
Sherman Chin
Site Admin

Social Media linked to depression and suicide

Post by Sherman Chin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:58 am

Quoting from this article: http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/social- ... d=48976063
"Her mom’s like, 'I’m looking at your Instagram feed and you’re looking like you love college, like you went to that party,' and Madison says to her mom, 'Mom it’s just a picture,' and so it’s like Madison knew that her Instagram feed was a false reflection," Fagan said. "But she couldn’t see that her peers were maybe also reflecting something that wasn’t totally real."

Dr. Janet Taylor, a psychiatrist, told ABC News that other students may also find it difficult to differentiate what is reality and what isn't on social media.

"College students may find it difficult to say if I'm deleting and only showing my best self, everyone else may be as well," Taylor said.

Larissa May, a recent graduate of Vanderbilt University, told ABC News that when she was a college student she suffered from depression that she says was triggered by social media.

"There's so much pressure to be at all the parties and look like you're having the best time of your life," May told ABC News.

"My sophomore year I struggled with anxiety and depression and social media was definitely a trigger for that because ... I was always looking at everyone else's trying to understand why were they so happy and why was I not," May added.
This is one of the reasons why I am posting this here instead of Facebook. When you are reading stuff on Facebook, you tend to see what is on your timeline and compare yourself to your peer group. Most of the time, it becomes an echo chamber of which you must continue the echo to fit in. What about misfits? People like us who tend not to align ourselves so much with others. Personally, once too big a group forms around what I am doing, I am already thinking of something new and feeling awkward fitting into the existing group. Why? Because group think takes over and I hate group think. Group think happens when someone or a few people act like they can boss everyone else around. Or maybe they don't even realise it and people just like to follow their trend. I am perfectly fine with the latter except that I am not the type to follow others.

So, my advice is to carve your own niche and create your own group. How? First, you need to express yourself through a posting in a forum like this. When you do, you will find others who think like you and you can form new groups of your own. This is more easily done in a public forum like this where others can Google search and find you compared to Facebook where you are only surrounded by people you know or even when you do get into Facebook groups, it's usually close and not searchable so you get the same old people most of the time.

At the very least, when you write here, you get a break from social media and after writing, you would have left an impression in the world wide web for the hope and opportunity of getting someone else who can connect with you because that's what being human is all about.