Thor Ragnarok 2017 Movie review

Talk about live action movies and TV series
Sherman Chin
Site Admin

Thor Ragnarok 2017 Movie review

Post by Sherman Chin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:35 am

MBO Cinemas (The Starling Mall, Malaysia) invited me to their Thor Ragnarok movie preview yesterday (25/10/2017) and it was quite the experience!

Marvel's Thor Ragnarok which is Thor's 3rd movie does not disappoint especially with the forewarning of what you will be getting given its over the top movie trailers - neon colours, 80's styling and the whole disco themed vibe. For any other movie, it might be too cheesy but Thor Ragnarok had the right dose of tongue and cheek with seriousness. It kind of reminds me of the Guardians Of The Galaxy series, which makes sense considering that we will have the Guardians Of The Galaxy join Thor in the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War movie in 2018.

The whole premise of the movie takes part in a galaxy far far away - well, in Asgard to be precise. Ragnarok is the prophecy of which Asgard will be destroyed with the aid of Odin's daughter (yes, Thor's sister), Hela. Hela is played by Cate Blanchett who was crazily evil but sad to say that her character wasn't developed enough in the movie and her motivations were rather one dimensional. Same goes for Tessa Thompson who played Valkyrie. I would rather they continued with the story with Lady Sif. Jane was conveniently gotten rid off as having dumped Thor as well - like what?! They were like the best couple before!

Okay, okay, it sounds like the movie is bad but it is not. The whole point is that Thor Ragnarok is no Dark Knight. There is no subtlety but it is okay because the movie does not present itself otherwise. It's full of jokes that will make you laugh right from the very beginning when Thor is seen already captured in a net and narrating his story. It's funny to see Chris Hemsworth play a comedic Thor. Sure, this is a movie that you will probably not remember for its noteworthy performances or intricate storyline but it is revolutionary in bringing comic book scenes to life with its incredible special effects and no, neither is it Transformers because it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Long story short, Hela comes to take over Asgard, Thor and Loki are thrown into another funky planet by Hela where they meet Valkyrie and Hulk, the four of them escape and come back to fight Hela! End of story! Almost a no brainer but special effects are good, characters are funny (everyone in the cinema was laughing every few minutes) and it is the prelude to Avengers: Infinity War. You definitely want to catch this if you want to know how Thor becomes King of Asgard but don't take it too seriously and you will have a lot of fun with this movie!

...now that I think about it, its novelty lies in the fact that no other superhero movie was done this comical before and I mean that as in a Thor comic coming to life!